This is one of my son's favorite recipes. He likes the combination of nut butter and date syrup which gives these treats a delicious unique flavor. The last time we made it we added 1/2 cup carob chips, at my son's suggestion.
These treats makes a quick and easy healthy snack. Or a nutritious breakfast on-the-go.
Crispy Rice Treats
2 cups crispy brown rice, sweetened with fruit juice
1/2 cup almond, cashew or peanut butter
1/2 cup date syrup
1/2 cup chopped almonds, cashews or peanuts
6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
- Combine crispy brown rice and nuts in a large bowl.
- Drop chopped dates one by one into the crispy rice mixture and stir to coat the date pieces to prevent them from clumping together.
- Combine date syrup and nut butter.
- Stir date syrup mixture into crispy rice mixture.
- Spray 8" square baking pan with cooking spray.
- Press mixture into pan and refrigerate for several hours.
- Cut into squares.
Makes 12 squares.
Nutrition facts, per square: 174 calories; 9 g fat; 0.65 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 17 mg sodium; 275 mg potassium; 22 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 14 g sugar; 4 g protein.