Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Quick and Easy Date Syrup

A lot of my recipes call for 1/2 cup date syrup.  In my cookbook and on my web site, http://bakewithdates.com, I have a recipe for a full 2 cup batch of date syrup.  Date syrup keeps well in an air tight container in the refrigerator for about 2-3 weeks.

Sometimes you just don't want to make a full batch of date syrup to make one of the other recipes in the cookbook.  Here's a quick and easy way to make 1/2 cup portion of date syrup.


Quick and Easy Date Syrup

6 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a 2 cup glass measuring cup.  Microwave for 1 1/3 to 2 minutes until water has come to a boil.  Let cool.  Puree in small nut grinder, small food processor or personal blender until smooth.

Tips:  The trick is to use a small enough container so that the date mixture will actually be pureed.  I have a small nut grinder that works the best for this purpose.