Pancakes usually have sugar and oil. Here I use dates to substitute for both of those ingredients. I also use almond meal to replace some of the flour to add protein.
You can do so many things with pancakes: add carob chips, chocolate chips, blueberries or chopped nuts to the batter before cooking.
You can top pancakes with caramalized banana. To caramelized bananas, spray small skillet with cooking spray. Slice ripe banana into skillet and heat over low heat until warm and mushy.
You can top pancakes with Caramel Sauce, Carob Sauce, Raspberry Sauce or Strawberry Sauce.
|Pancakes with strawberry sauce|
2 medjool dates, pitted and chopped
1 cup almond milk
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup almond meal
2 Tbs baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1. Using a small blender, puree dates and almond milk.
2. Combine flour, almond meal, baking powder and salt.
3. Stir date mixture into flour mixture until just combined.
4. Drop 1/4 cup batter at a time onto hot greased skillet over medium high heat.
5. Cook until bubbles appear on top of pancake, about 3 minutes.
6. Flip pancake and cook other side for about 2 minutes.
Makes 8 servings.
Serving size: 1 pancake.
Amount Per Serving
Calories From Fat 14
Total Fat 2 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 425 mg
Potassium 75 mg
Total Carbohydrates 12 g
Fiber 1 g
Sugar 4 g
Protein 2 g